gloriacarr16

Robert Harris
Awakening of the Heart: Essential Buddhist Sutras and Commentaries
Thich Nhat Hanh

Wings

Wings - J.C. Owens I admit it, I'm a sucker for wings, which is why this story got a whole two stars. There was nothing particularly terrible, but the story was so unremarkable that the details are already fading from my mind just a couple hours later. Really, the only thing that has me even vaguely interested right now is puzzling over why a winged species would even bother riding horses. A flying creature like a hawk or angel can fly faster and further than a horse, simply by gliding between thermal updrafts they can travel hundreds of miles a day with barely a wing-flap. Why even bother with horses? I could see it for, maybe, carting large amounts of stuff that weigh too much to be flown, or plowing fields, or some other task a flying person can't do, but for regular travel? Weird. Maybe the author thinks that birds flap their wings constantly while flying and would get tired after awhile. If so, they'd obviously never seen a hawk fly.

The characters are flat as hell and rather boring, everyone wants to fuck the younger smaller guy (apologies, but I can't remember his name just hours after reading the book, a bad sign in my opinion) He's a guard or something, captured by the enemy prince who wants him as a sex slave. They have sex, fall in love, he escapes with his commander, he pines for the prince and eventually goes back to the prince. There's a bit more to it than that, but not much.

Honestly this story isn't bad for what it is, but it's not anything particularly deep either. I can't really recommend it, to be honest.