gloriacarr16

Pompeii
Robert Harris
Awakening of the Heart: Essential Buddhist Sutras and Commentaries
Thich Nhat Hanh
I, Omega - Kari Gregg Jesus this book.

I picked it up because, well, I do like shifters and its really hard to find a good series about shifters.

The problems start early on with this book Gabriel is terrified of his master, the guy who turned him into some kind of human with shifter powers or something. So terrified he ran away the first chance he got and has been living on the streets ever since. But the moment Cal shows all of Gabe's resistance disappears and he submits completely to him. He has no choice in the matter apparently, on top of being a sub in the BDSM sense he's also overwhelmed by his brand new instinct to submit to his master. He's so overwhelmed that there's no way he can realistically consent to any sort of a relationship in my opinion. At one point Cal has to actually force him to set some hard limits (a scene I find richly ironic since you would think TURNING GABE INTO A PSEUDO-WEREWOLF WITHOUT HIS PERMISSION would be an automatic hard-limit, but Cal did it to him anyway. Permanent changes should be something you should ask about first in my opinion). Most of the book is basically Gabe either freaking out over the fact that he can feel himself lose his independence, or Gabe and Cal having some mildly kinky sex (like, seriously, the kinkiest scene features spanking. ooooo spanking how daring!). Gabe is basically kidnapped by the guy he was terrified of, turned into some kind of sex-slave based on instinct, there's some talk about hard limits but really? You expect me, the reader, to believe Gabe's safeword would be respected after Gabe was turned into a "Human Omega" and given a RFID chip and a tattoo against his will with zero discussion before hand? Oookay.

And Cal is terribly contradictory, at times wanting Gabe to call him Master, or Sir, or just plain Cal with little predictability.

There are plot threads which are just abandoned. Gabe is the son of a Senator who, we are told, loves his son very much, has taken some hard hits to his career because his son is gay and kinky and still loves and accepts him. Gabe has been missing for two months, too afraid and too overwhelmed by his new instincts to call his father. So his father is probably freaking out over the disappearance of his son and like any parent is probably scared to death about what has happened to him. But do we get any reconciliation between father and son? Does Gabe call him, or visit him, or do anything to let his father know that he is alive and well? No, nothing like that at all has happened. His dad is just left there, hanging, with no word on the fact that his beloved child is still alive.

Also I'm really confused as to what an Omega is even supposed to do in this world. Supposedly an Omega is the lowest rank of wolf, but at the same time they are supposed to be the peace-keeper? How the hell does that tie in with being apparently a sex-slave (ie "the whore of the pack" or Alpha I guess)? Wouldn't a peace-keeper actually be a person with a lot of personal power in the pack instead? What is going on here?

And finally, my biggest pet peeve... NO ACTUAL SHIFTING OCCURS. This is something I've complained about in the past in other books that feature shifters. To me a shifter book is about balancing the nature of the human with the nature of the animal. That means the shifters actually have to shift, and their animal sides have to be as important to the story as their human sides. In this book NONE of the werewolves shift. We're told they are shifters, but we aren't shown it. It just feels like a way to create some sort of strange humanish creatures with slightly different instincts. What's the point of having a story about shifters if they the fact that they shift isn't an important part of the story?