gloriacarr16

Pompeii
Robert Harris
Awakening of the Heart: Essential Buddhist Sutras and Commentaries
Thich Nhat Hanh
He Is Worthy - Lisa Henry Sounds interesting, although I have a minor problem with the blurb. Nero was executed by soldiers by order of the Senate. There were emperors who were assassinated by slaves (Domitian comes to mind, he was killed by his daughter's tutor, but I guess this plot wouldn't work with him because while he was a paranoid autocrat, he wasn't a sadistic hedonist) but Nero wasn't one of them. I have to put this out there or it's going to bug the hell out of me.

Edit: Finally read it! Wow, reading two great Lisa Henry books in under 24 hours is quite a mind-fuck, I have to say! I rated this a four rather than a five because I feel that it is a bit too short. Don't get me wrong, I really loved this story! But it needed to be longer.

Aenor was a trader of one of the German tribes when he was captured by Roman soldiers and sold into slavery. He winds up serving in Nero's Golden Palace as one of Nero's pleasure slaves, to be raped by whomever the emperor pleases. Senna is a co-captain of the Praetorian Guard and a former friend of Nero, although Nero doesn't know about the 'former' part. For years he had been doing the emperor's dirty work, going to the important people Nero and his advisors have decided needed killed and telling them to commit suicide. With his sister now spirited away to safety by Titus he has no reason not to turn on his former friend before Nero tears the empire apart. The only problem is, Nero does not trust anyone close to him, not his enemies, and definitely not his friends. Senna sees the hatred in Aenor, his willingness to kill his tormentors, and decides to used it to his advantage. He could count on that hatred, he didn't count on falling in love.

Honestly if I talk any more about the story I'll end up spoiling it, so I better stop now. But this was really good and I think it's a must-read for anyone who loves gay romance.