gloriacarr16

Pompeii
Robert Harris
Awakening of the Heart: Essential Buddhist Sutras and Commentaries
Thich Nhat Hanh
Almost Paradise (Pine Hollow Wolves #1) - Caitlin Ricci Pine Hollow Wolves 1 by Caitlin Ricci

God I hate this book.

Liam is a Shifter who... well, I'm about 3/4ths of the way through the book and he hasn't shifted yet. This is not a good sign in my experience. If you're going to write a story about shifters/werewolve they better fucking shift or were that wolf. Anyway, he's like an accountant or something for his pack leader. Travis is a single father of a two year old girl, Hannah. Travis had Hannah with an Evil Ex for... welp. i have no idea. I don't even know why they got together in the first place because Travis is gay and Alexandria is a massive homophobe. Evidently Travis paid her to have his kid... which makes no sense because her father is rich, if she needs money she gets it from him. Oh, and she's evil because she didn't want Hannah in the first place, was talked into not having an abortion, and then changed her mind after giving birth. This makes her an evil bitch. I especially love the whole thing about Hannah never ever being hers even before she was born. Because a woman shouldn't have control over what's inside her womb or something. (spoiler alert for real life: going through a nine month long pregnancy and and then giving birth is a freakin big deal for a woman and I'm not surprised she changed her mind) I am serious, the author calls her a "witch". Nice! I love misogyny, don't you?

Travis and Hannah are almost homeless when Liam meets them. Liam, the wonderful guy that he is, uses their situation to force Travis to move in with him. Then he kisses Travis without warning about an hour after they meet. I am not joking. It feels like Travis is being forced into this situation because what the fuck else is he supposed to do? He has no money! (btw, this is where shared custody could have been a good thing, Travis is living with Hannah and can't afford childcare, so what does he do? Go job hunting with Hannah. That's pretty damn desperate)

And eh, apparently Hannah can tell who the shifters are just by looking or whatever but that's not nearly as interesting as the coercive behavior of Liam or the massive misogyny of the author so I don't give a fuck.

Anyway, the plus side is that the cover is nice and the book is fairly short so I'm going to finish it and see just how trainwrecky it gets.

One Star at Goodreads.

Edit: Finished. Nope. Doesn't get any better.

Crossposted to http://platedlizard.livejournal.com/94913.html